Szervusztok!

I Am Omi


Hello,

I am Irma, but you can call me Omi. That name sounds German, I know. It is not. I am Hungarian and the name came from my granddaughter. It was probably given to her, too, to call me by her mom, my oldest daughter. But it is here now, and at 86 years old, I am not going to change it.

I like it.

Today is my first day back from a brief hospital stay. I had problems staying awake Saturday morning. Next thing I know some nice young people in blue clothes brought their stuff into my bathroom. They were very calm, but my younger daughter, the one who takes care of me, was in a panic. So was her husband. They are very good to me.

I was okay, but the young people wanted me to go with them in their ambulance. It was fine. Broke up my day a little. But by Sunday night I was ready to come home.

In my next talk with you nice people I will tell you what they did to make me better. It might surprise you. Thanks for reading.

Köszönöm Szépen

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Less is More

For years now I have been battling dementia and mild Alzheimer's Disease. Mainly I have trouble remembering things. I also have trouble getting around because of painful arthritis in my knees. In 2008 I moved from St. Pete here to Hudson with my daughter Monika and her husband Chuck.

Over the years I have had several episodes where I have been inside. That's what it's like to be in a hospital and nursing care, like jail. The worst part is the drugs they give you. A couple of years ago I was in rehab after a week or so in the hospital. It was a nice enough place, near home with attentive staff. But they gave me this awful drug caller Seroquel XR. It is made for people with pretty serious mental problems. They gave it to me to quiet me down. It was probably the worst thing I had ever been through. 

Fortunately my daughter and son-in-law saw I wasn't right and threw a fit. It took days for me to come back around and weeks before I was my old self again. This weekend I was back inside again, but this time just because I was passing out. Guess what? They found that a drug I was on for an irregular heartbeat was making me faint! They took me off that and I'm okay again. 

I know there are drugs that do good things. But there are also drugs that cause real problems for people. Older folks can't always speak up and if we let them they'll pump us full of terrible stuff. I'm not saying anything about the drugs you are given by your doctor. I'm just saying twice now I am better off without them. 

Köszönöm Szépen      

No comments:

Post a Comment